Who will care for my children?

Who Will Care for My Children?

Let’s face it, no one wants to think much about what happens to their children if orphaned. Whether we want to think about it or not, children sometimes loose their parents. That scenario brings about sadness and heartache, but there are some things we can do to prepare for it, just in case. Utah law (UTCA 75-5-202) permits parents to appoint a guardian of their children in their will.

You may be surprised who the state selects for your child’s new caregiver. This person may have very different ideas about parenting that you do. The selection process for a new caregiver may result in your child going to a family member and may not. Even if a family member is chosen, the selection criteria may look at who makes the most money, lives the closest to the child’s former home, could keep the child in the same school, has the least number of children, etc. Do you really want your child to go to your wealthiest relative? Maybe. Do you want your child to go to your geographically closest relative? Maybe. Do you want someone else to choose who will raise your child? Most definitely not.

In my experience, almost everyone has an idea who would be the best caregiver for their children if they pass away. Please, prepare for the possibility that you may not live to see your children enter adulthood. Contact the Abbott Law Firm to prepare the documents you need to designate a guardian for your children.